Synology released official DSM 5 beta.
It was for the first time that they set up events in Apple WWDC style.
But why such fanfare? While features that were announced are not revolutionary they are evolutionary, polish, polish, speed, usability…
like it should be done.
Downside of Synology evolution is that they are increasing technology divide between them and competitors. I hope some of them will find a way to improve their systems.
Update: Synology 5.1 Announced
Synology DSM 5 beta features
Improved User Experience
User interface got a face lift, better looking, easier to navigate, updated package center.
Now you can add multiple devices and manage them from one interface, manage the whole cluster. Unified monitoring and policy based administration. Now you will be able to automate tasks
Cloud has received major revamp, now you can connect 2 devices together and enable 2 way synchronisation. Versioning and links have been improved
Performance & Reliability
I don’t know how much exposure you had to ISCSI, but the fact is that SCSI functionality had some bugs and was not performing like it should be. With version 5, Synology improved SCSI performance tremendously. They have added Memory compression to RS devices, improved snapshot and backup functionality and improved SSD caching.
Mobile & Smart TV
Mobile devices are covered, now they added support for Samsung TV’s and Chromecast
You can see that this a big update. I am really looking for new business features.
Synology DSM 5 beta change log
- Brand New User Interface
- Visual design has been totally revamped to provide a cleaner look and touch-friendly user experiences.
- High-resolution images are displayed when launched with Ultra HD or retina-display supported devices.
- Badges-style notification counters appear on application icons.
- Login page displays local weather information.
- Widgets page allows you to monitor the NAS status with all widgets in one page.
- All widgets can be minimized as a tray icon.
- QuickConnect now supports DSM, Photo Station, Audio Station, Surveillance Station, Download Station, Video Station, File Station, providing simplified remote access, without the hassle of setting up port-forwarding on your router.
- All mobile apps support QuickConnect.
- Enabling QuickConnect requires registering a MyDS Center account.
- Web Station and Mail Station does not support QuickConnect.
- Backup and Replication
- Multiple versions now support differential blocks between file versions to keep file history with better storage efficiency.
- Overview page displays scheduled and completed backup tasks.
- Credentials for creating backup destinations can be saved as a profile to make backup task creation easier.
- Data and configuration backup created in DSM 5.0 can only be restored in DSM 5.0.
- Data and configurations that were backed up in DSM 5.0 cannot be restored using DSM 4.3 or earlier.
- Multiple version backup includes the below limitations:
- Files over 8GB cannot be backed up.
- This feature is only supported when backing up to the same Synology NAS or another Synology NAS.
- Control Panel
- Layout has been redesigned for better navigation and organization.
- Service list displays related firewall and port-forwarding settings.
- Share Folders with Windows ACL Permissions
- The access permissions of shared folders are based on Windows ACL, allowing you to fine-tune permissions beyond just Read Only, Read/Write, No Access. Newly created shared folders implement the permission settings of Windows ACL.
- For shared folders created in DSM 4.3 or earlier, you can either convert the existing permissions to Windows ACL, or leave the permission unchanged.
- The shared folders – photo, surveillance, and shares on external storage or volume with ext3 file system cannot use Windows ACL permissions.
- Storage Manager
- New overview displays the overall health of all disks and volumes, as well as hard disk utilization, volume, and iSCSI LUN usage.
- Disk health information includes the current and historical health of hard disks.
- SSD Cache
- SSD read-write cache is supported on XS and XS+ Synology NAS models. Two identical SSDs can be combined to create a RAID 1 cache and enhance the performance of a volume or Block-level iSCSI LUN. To ensure data integrity, you have to remove SSD cache in Storage Manager to flush data into drives, before physically removing the SSDs from Synology NAS.
- It is not supported to create a High Availability Cluster with SSD read-write cache enabled.
- Package Center
- Auto updating allows packages to be updated automatically.
- Log Center
- Syslog Server and System Logs have been integrated into a single, centralized application.
- Support Center
- Support tickets can now be sent directly from DSM.
- Remote access and log generation allow Synology support engineers to remotely diagnose technical issues on your Synology NAS.
- Sharing Links in File Station
- File sharing links can be created for your Google+ and Facebook friends. Those who receive the link will be asked to enter their Google+ or Facebook login credentials before accessing the folder or file.
- Text Editor
- Plain text files can be edited directly in DSM.
- Rich features are available, such as the ability to change character encoding, recognize file types, and see variable highlighting.
- Currently not available on Internet Explorer 8.0 and earlier version
- DSM Help
- Online help files can be viewed in DSM Help, allowing you to read the latest versions of documentation regarding DSM and packages.
- Font size can be changed to larger sizes.
- Web Station
- The “http” group (http) is introduced to be the service account of Web Station for better flexibility and security. Web applications will run as the same permission as “http” group. We suggest you to review the permission of the web folder and assign appropriate permissions to http group.
- Updated to PHP 5.5. Please check the compatibility of your PHP-based web apps with php 5.5.
- Leaping performance enhancement by the new Apache MPM worker.
- Media Library
- The default indexed folders – photo, video, audio are removable from indexed folders.
- The types of media to be indexed in each default folder can be changed.
- Synology High Availability
- When bounding two or more ethernet connections to create an aggregated heartbeat connection, load balancing and failover are supported, and the data synchronisation throughput can be improved up to 50%.
Transfer 10GB file to HA cluster when using two 10Gb heartbeat connection DSM 4.3 DSM 5.0 Improvement Throughput 783 (MB/s) 1197 (MB/s) 52.9%
- iSCSI Performance
- For iSCSI LUN with Advanced LUN option enabled, iSCSI random read performance has been enhanced by over 6 times, as illustrated in the below comparison:
IOPS (4KB) DSM 4.3 DSM 5.0 Improvement Read IOPS from DS1813+ 135 995 637 %
- File Service
- AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) performance has been improved, as illustrated in the below comparison of transferring 5000 x 1MB files to Synology NAS:
Mac to Synology NAS DSM 4.3 DSM 5.0 Improvement DS213j 25.14 MB/s 31.42 MB/s 25.0% DS1513+ 31.64 MB/s 41.61 MB/s 31.5%
- Support for SPDY v3.0 accelerates the overall responsiveness of the user interface when using HTTPS connections.
- Memory Compression
- Least recently used data in memory is compressed, improving system responsiveness when under heavy load.
- Only available on the following models: RS3614xs+, RS2414+, RS2414RP+, RS814+, RS814RP+, RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, DS214play, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, RS812+, RS812RP+, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS3612xs, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS712+, DS412+, RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, RS810+, RS810RP+, DS1010+, DS710+
- Connecting up to two USB Wi-Fi adapters is supported, allowing your Synology NAS to share its Internet connection via both 2.4GHz and 5GHz ranges.
- You can bridge your wired connection with Wi-Fi hotspot(s) to extend your wireless network range and unify your existing local network and the wireless network hosted on your DiskStation.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Support
- The following models are certified with Windows Server 2012 R2: RS3614xs+, RS814(RP)+
What’s New in Packages
- Central Management System
- Central Management System (CMS) allows you to quickly and
- One Synology NAS can be designated as the “CMS Host.” The single interface on the CMS Host allows you to do the following:
- Monitor the health and availability of managed servers.
- Receive system notifications from managed servers.
- Create server groups and define policies in order to apply settings to entire server groups.
- Keep each server in your fleet up-to-date by performing software updates.
- Delegate administrator permissions to specific users or groups, allowing each admin to manage specific servers or server groups.
- Only available on the following models: RS3614xs+, RS2414+, RS2414RP+, RS814+, RS814RP+, RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, RS812+, RS812RP+, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS3612xs, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS712+, DS412+, RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, RS810+, RS810RP+, DS1010+, DS710+
- CIFS Scale-out Cluster (included in CMS package)
- Clustered storage system aggregates storage and computational resources of multiple Synology NAS servers. Each Synology NAS server can be designated as a Storage Server (expands storage capacity) or a Computing Server (increases throughput).
- Scale-on-demand architecture lets you expand storage capability linearly by adding more storage servers to the cluster.
- Namespace is unified across different computing servers.
- All computing servers can share the same NetBIOS name for load balancing, as well as rotate a unified IP address for failover.
- Storage servers support 1-replica and 2-replica configurations for data redundancy.
- Unused hard drives on the storage servers can be combined into RAID 5/6 configuration to provide storage capacity for the cluster.
- All of the servers must be located in the same subnet and the same Domain or LDAP environment.
- You can add up to 12 computing servers and 12 storage servers for a maximum of 1 petabyte of storage space.
- Available on XS+ and XS series.
- Synology High Availability is not compatible with Storage and Computing Server.
- Synology NAS in cluster mode does not support disk hibernation.
- Cloud Station
- Overview page allows you to easily install Cloud Station client software on different devices.
- Version history allows you to easily navigate and locate the deleted or previous versions of files.
- Historical versions of files can be restored from version history.
- Sync permissions of users can be changed to read-only; in this case, users cannot upload new files or modified files with Cloud Station Client.
- Certificate verification supports SSL connections.
- Cloud Station Client for DSM
- Cloud Station Client on DSM allows your Synology NAS to sync folders and files with another Synology NAS running Cloud Station.
- Cloud Station Client for Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Sync can be performed with multiple Synology NAS servers.
- Previous file versions can be directly downloaded.
- You can create file sharing link in Windows File Explorer and Mac Finder.
- Cloud Sync
- Files can be synced from Google Drive, Dropbox, and Baidu Cloud.
- Snapshot Manager
- Synology Snapshot Manager software plugin available on vSphere and Windows Server environments to create application-consistent snapshots in DSM.
- For VMware environments, you can install Synology Snapshot Manager for VMware vCenter Server on Windows Server. After installation, when a snapshot is triggered on DSM, vCenter Server will be notified and flush all the data from memory to the LUN to guarantee data consistency. Once the snapshot is complete, vCenter Server will resume normal I/O operation of VMware datastore.
- For Windows environment, you can install Synology Snapshot Manager for Windows Server. After installation, when a snapshot is triggered on DSM, Synology Snapshot Manager will use the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) technology to produce consistent point-in-time copies of data. (Available Soon)
- Synology Snapshot Manager for VMware vCenter Server supports vSphere 5.1 or later, and vSphere web client server plugin is required for application interface. Snapshot Manager for Windows supports Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2. VMware applications support up to 3 maximum concurrent snapshot tasks.
- Photo Station
- You can enable the tree view of albums on the left panel from the settings to move and copy albums and photos by dragging and dropping.
- You can to specify file extensions not to generate thumbnails and be displayed, thus avoiding duplicate thumbnails.
- You can disable thumbnail generation or video conversion for each album in the first level of Photo Station. Settings are applied to subfolders.
- Sharing videos to YouTube is available.
- The photos and videos stored in the first level of Photo Station can be set as public. The default value is private.
- Video Station
- You can select a DLNA player or Apple TV before video playback.
- You can set the image files stored in the same folder of videos as the poster. This setting can only be applied to “Movie” and “Others” video types.
- You can enable AC3 passthrough on Apple TV for better audio quality.
- You can repeat one video or an entire collection of videos.
- Subtitle display is supported for video playback with VLC plugin in full-screen mode.
- Transcoding of DTV live streaming is supported in Video Station player.
- Options to adjust transcoded qualities are available when streaming to Apple TV.
- Media Server
- Custom libraries and administrators’ collection in Video Station can be integrated into Media Server library.
- Mail Station
- Upgrade to roundcube 0.9.
- MariaDB has replaced MySQL and become a standalone package.
- Surveillance Station
- Max camera number has been increased to 35 for DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, RS2414(RP)+, RS814(RP)+.
- Max camera number has been increased to 25 for DS1812+, DS1512+, DS713+, DS412+, RS2212(RP)+, RS812(RP)+
- Java Manager
- Supported Java 7.
What’s New in Mobile Apps (Coming Soon)
- DS audio for Android
- Supports force transcoding of all formats, even those natively supported by Android devices (notably .FLAC).
- Streaming quality can be adjusted if your Synology NAS supports audio transcoding.
- DS audio for iPhone/iPad
- Supports force transcoding of all formats, even those natively supported by the iDevice (notably .ALAC)
- Streaming quality can be adjusted if your Synology NAS supports audio transcoding.
- Downloads take place in the background and can be reordered.
- DS file for Android and iPhone/iPad
- User interface has been redesigned, and overall usability has been improved.
- Thumbnails are now displayed.
- The following features require DSM 4.3 or later:
- Files and folders can now be shared with users without DSM accounts.
- Advanced search options are now available in addition to local folder search by keyword filtering.
- Supports compress/extract files as in File Station.
- Folders can be added to “Favourites” like in File Station.
- DS photo+ for Android
- Photos can be displayed on Apple TV with AirPlay support.
- Instant Upload has the option to upload “photos only” (skip videos).
- DS photo+ for iPhone/iPad
- Instant Upload has the option to upload “photos only” (skip videos).
- Manually uploading photos/videos has been simplified.
- DS photo+ for Windows Phone
- Smart albums, Tags and Categories created in Photo Station can be viewed.
- Photos can be displayed on Apple TV.
- DS cloud for Android and iPhone/iPad
- Folders can be selected on multiple Synology NAS servers.
- You can view the status of files being synced, such as the progress and sync speed.
- DS cloud update is required to be compatible with Cloud Station 3 in DSM 5.0.
- DS download for Windows Phone
- Monitor Download Station and view download task information.
- Create tasks using the BT search, embedded Web-browser, or inputting the URL directly.
- Update RSS feeds.
- Enable download schedules.
- Select the destination folder for your downloads.
- DS video for Android and iPhone/iPad
- Videos can be downloaded for offline viewing.
- The channel is displayed when streaming Live TV.
- DS video for Samsung TV
- Browse and stream your video collection with a dedicated app for Samsung TV.
- Stream Live TV with a DVB-T/DVB-S dongle plugged into your Synology NAS.
- Option to enable transcoding (on Synology NAS models which support transcoding).
- Subtitles are supported (.srt support, and embedded subtitles for .mkv).
- DS video for Samsung TV is available on Samsung Smart Hub for USA market. Manual installation is possible for other countries, please refer to this link.