By now you must have heard of Vembu. If a couple of releases ago the product was not that well recognized by the channel, things have improved a lot for Vembu. Their rapid development has brought many features which cover almost every enterprise feature. Vembu also filled the void in their arsenal. At first, they only had an Enterprise product. Soon they created a Standard version, which is naturally cheaper but also lacks some Enterprise features. In addition, they have created an Essentials version that is suited for SMBs. That way, they covered all the markets. Now, with version 4.0 things will change further for Vembu as the trust and new features will bring new customers to Vembu.
We have covered previous point releases, but what makes this version special is that it includes major improvements – improvements that make version 4.0 the best release.
Vembu BDR Suite 4.0 – what’s new?
Version 4.0 includes many new features and many enhancements. New features that rock the latest release:
- Hyper-V cluster backup – Hyper-V cluster backup support has been added. Vembu can backup the VMs in the cluster, even if they are moved from host A to host B. Incremental backup will continue in the background without any interruption whatsoever.
- Shared VHDx backup – Vembu now supports backup of the shared VHDx of Hyper-V
- CheckSum based incremental – CBT is used for incremental backups. In the case of CBT failure occurs, Vembu will be using CheckSum, so that the incremental will happen without interruption.
- Credential Manager – In order to improve user interaction, Vembu has developed Credential manager which enables you to manage the credentials of the host and all the VMs running on it.
In addition, Vembu BDR Suite v4.0 is packed the following enhancements:
- where it was left off for Vembu ImageBackup – Imagine the situation when the backup job gets interrupted because of network failure. If the backup size is 1TB and you have to send it over a slower WAN link, time frame without a proper backup can be prolonged for another 8 hours or so. With the new enhancement, the backup job will resume where it was left off.
- Improved Proxy functionality – BDR backup server will trigger all the backup-related requests. That way, the proxy agent will only process requests received from the BDR Server.
- Virtual hardware selection – When you need to recover a virtual machine, there is now an option to set up virtual hardware during the live recovery. That means that now you can configure the number of CPU cores, memory, HDD provision type, and network adapter at the time of live recovery.
- Improved Hyper-V live recovery – now, during the recovery of a backed-up Hyper-V, a separate agent is installed on the target machine for performing the full VM recovery.
- Improved Application-aware for Hyper-V backups – Now, you can select individual VMs to which you want to enable Application Aware processing.
- Abort Offsite Replication – In the latest version, you can abort the replication job from the Vembu OffsiteDR server.
- ODR Activation – Activating or deactivating a particular server that is connected to an OffsiteDR server can is now possible.
- Quick VM Recovery report – After a Quick VM recovery you will get a report for a recovery process with information like VM Name, Recovery point, Start and End time, target hypervisor and the status of recovery.
- API’s to fetch storage details – Completely new set of API’s is designed to give a detailed report on storage utilization, like the size of the VM, storage space utilized by a backup job, compression rate, and so on.
- VM disk inclusion – In previous versions, only after the initial full backup, the newly added disk of the VM is backed up, only on the next additional full backup. From the latest release on, the newly added disk will be backed up along with successive incremental.
Vembu BDR Suite version 4.0 brings total of 4 new features and 10 enhancements which will make backup faster, easier, and more reliable. As you can see, Hyper-V improvements have received a major boost. Vembu is slowly and steadily building a wonderful product that is reliable, easy to use, and full of features. You are kindly invited to try a trial version and see for yourself how easy it is to use Vembu BDR Suite.